Thursday, October 23, 2008

Home Made Applesauce

It is that time of year again. The leaves are changing, the air is crisp and apples are in season. I am blessed enough to have a wonderful produce market just down the street and that is where I will buy all my bulk produce for canning. As I drove by I saw their sign that read ".79 a pound for Mountain Grown Apples". Of course I had to stop and wouldn't ya know, they had a ton of different varieties all grown in the local mountains here. And nothing sounded better to me at the moment than Home Made Mountain Applesauce. So I bought a box, came home, washed my jars and began the process. My girls both woke up to the smell of fall in the house. Without further delay, here is my recipe for applesauce.

Mountain Grown Apples Applesauce

12 Apples cored, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbl lemon juice (this will help keep your applesauce a lighter color)
1 1/2 Cups water
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Simmer on medium until the apples are nice and tender. Transfer to blender for about 15 seconds (or longer if you don't like chunky applesauce). Serve warm or cold.

* This recipe is great for canning as well. That is what I do with the majority so we can enjoy it all year round!

1 comment: